Your online Store is initially setup with only departments related to the product made available through your Online Store. If you choose to carry your own products, however, you also have the option to create your own unique departments for those products.
You can create a new department in your Store by following these steps:
Create a Department
- Click on Store > Departments > Create a Department.
- Complete the fields on the form (more information on these fields can be found below in the Edit a Department section).
- Click the Save button create your to view more options.
Edit a Department
Note: To make changes to any field, simply update the data and then click the Save Departments button at the top of the page.
The Edit a Department form can be accessed either through selecting a department from the Your Departments section or creating a new department through the Create a Department section. Use the form on this page to create or edit custom departments in your Store.
The department title entered here is what will be displayed to the customers shopping in your Store.
Metadata / SEO
- Meta Title
This field is associated with the department title for SEO (search engine optimization) purposes.
- Meta Keywords
Enter any keywords you want to be associated with this department for SEO purposes, with each keyword separated by comma.
- Meta Description
A longer description of your department that can be helpful for search engines to index department pages of your site.
- URL Title
URL Title tags can be helpful for search engines to index your site and can potentially increase the odds of your website being found in search result.
If your department is a sub-department of an existing department, your department's thumbnail image will be used on the department page of its parent department. Top-level departments do not require thumbnail images.
To upload a new thumbnail image for your department, take the following steps:
- Click the Upload Image button
- Select Default Department as your image/file set and click Next
- Select whether or not to re-size your image to 150px x 150px by either checking the Resize box or leaving it unchecked. Then browse to upload your image file and complete the Default Department Options form to set your thumbnail image (more information on this form can be found below)
- Click Save to add the new thumbnail image
After your department thumbnail image has been added, you can select Edit by clicking the icon to access the Default Department Options and edit or replace your image.
Default Department Options include:
- Type - For departments, the only image type that is used is the Thumbnail. The size listed in pixels is the default size (150px x 150px) for the thumbnail image type and is the size that your images will be re-sized to meet if you select that option in the final column.
- Width x Height - Once your image has been uploaded, the actual size of the image will be displayed in this column.
- File - Click browse to upload a new image from your computer. If you have already uploaded an image for this image type, the file name that you have uploaded will display here.
- Title - Each image can be assigned a title for your own reference.
- Resize/Del - When uploading a new image, check this box to have the image resized to match the default image size listed in the Type column. After you image has been uploaded, you can remove the existing image by click the red X that appears in this column
This section allows you to place the department in your Store in relation to the existing departments. You can either choose to make your department part of the main Store navigation or make it a sub-department of an existing department.
Upon initial setup, your department will be set as a "Floating" department, which means the department is active but will not appear anywhere on your Store. When you are ready to make your department accessible to your customers, you will need to place it in your Store's department hierarchy. If you would like your custom department to live at the top-level of your site and not as a sub-department of an existing department, double click on hierarchy to place your department on the top-level and add it to your Connections below..
To place your department beneath an existing department, click the expand arrow next to your company name to view two options labeled Hierarchy and Floating. Click the expand arrow next to Hierarchy to view all the top-level departments in your Store.
Some of your departments may be labeled with a yellow icon while some may have a white icon. The departments with yellow icons are currently active and can be accessed by your customers through your Store. To view additional layers of departments, click on the expand arrow that appears next to departments that contain sub-departments.
Once you've located the department under which you want your custom department to live, double click the department name to add it to your Connections below.
Once you've established where your new department will live in connection to the rest of you Store departments, you can manage that connection here.
The Active check box allows you to decide whether the department will appear on your site or not. To automatically make your department activate and/or deactivate on specified dates, click the fields under Start Date and End Date to open the calendar and determine your schedule.
If you would like to remove a connection completely, click the red X located in the Remove column.
This section will display all of the sub-departments listed beneath your custom departments. When you create a new department and relate an existing custom department through the Relate to Catalog section, the new department will automatically appear in the sub-department list.
Alternately, once a new custom department has been created, you can assign it as a sub-department using the Search for Departments feature. Just enter the name of your new sub-department, click filter, and click To to relate the two departments to one another.
The order in which the department's sub-departments can be managed by dragging and dropping each department into your desired order. In order for your order changes to take effect, however, you must select Yes - Use My Sort from the Custom Sort: options at above Search for Departments and on the right-hand side of the page.
You can also manage these sub-department connections by checking to making them active or inactive, or setting a start date and end date on which to active and/or deactivate the connection. The active/inactive selection will not make the sub-department itself active or inactive, it will only determine whether the two departments are linked to one another.
To remove a connection completely, click the red X in the far-right column of your connection list.
The related products section works very similarly to the sub departments section, but dealing with products that reside within your custom department rather than sub-departments.
Products can be associated to departments in one of two ways. They can be managed in the product editor's Relate to Catalog section or here within the department editor. To manage the connection here, search for the product title and click the Relate button associated with your product.
The product will now appear in the related products list below. You can sort the order in which these products will appear by dragging and dropping the product titles into the correct order. A product can also be marked as active or inactive to determine whether the product will appear on your Store, or be available only for a limited time by setting a start date and end date.