IMAP is a newer protocol that keeps all messages and folders on the server. In addition, IMAP idle is an optional feature of the IMAP protocol that pushes all new messages to your email client as they are received by the mail server. Unlike POP, IMAP offers two-way communication between your SmarterMail mailbox and your email client(s). This means when you log in to the SmarterMail Web interface, actions you performed on email clients and mobile devices will automatically appear in the Web interface (and vice versa).
With POP3, your mail is saved in a mailbox on the remote server until you check your mail. When you check your mail, all of the mail is downloaded to your computer and is no longer maintained on the server. If you use POP3 and are traveling or checking your mail from multiple locations, you will not be able to view any of your old mail because the messages only exist on the computer on which you originally received your mail. NOTE: If you have enabled your email client to keep messages on the server, you will be able to access your messages and folders from any computer via the SmarterMail Web interface or your mobile device.
To setup Windows Live Mail for your SmarterMail account:
- Start Windows Live Mail 2011. If the Add your email accounts page is displayed when you start Windows Live Mail, go to step 2. If the Add your email accounts page isn't displayed when you first open the program, click Email above New Account on the Accounts tab.
- On the Add your email accounts page, do the following:
- In the Email address box, enter your full email address (including the domain).
- In the Password box, enter your password. If you want Windows Live Mail to remember your password, select the check box next to Remember this password.
- In the Display name for your sent messages box, enter the name you want users to see when you send email.
- Click Next.
- Under Server type on the drop-down menu, select IMAP or POP.
- Under Server address, enter secure.myvcgmail.com
- Uncheck the Requires a secure connection (SSL) checkbox.
- Under Log on user name, enter your full email address, including your domain name.
- Under Outgoing server, enter secure.myvcgmail.com
- Uncheck the check box next to Requires a secure connection (SSL).
- Select the check box next to Requires authentication, and then click Next.