For messages, users should set up an account within Outlook using either IMAP or POP3. We suggest setting this up as an IMAP account.
IMAP is a newer protocol that keeps all messages and folders on the server. In addition, IMAP idle is an optional feature of the IMAP protocol that pushes all new messages to Outlook as they are received by the mail server. Unlike POP, IMAP offers two-way communication between your SmarterMail mailbox and your email client(s). This means when you log in to the SmarterMail Web interface, actions you performed on email clients and mobile devices will automatically appear in the Web interface (and vice versa).
Follow these steps to create an Outlook 2016/365 POP3 or IMAP account:
- In Outlook, go to File, Click the Info tab.
- Click Account Settings and select Account Settings from the drop-down.
- Select New within the Email tab.
- Click Manually configure server settings or additional server types radio button.
- Click Next.
- Click the Internet Email radio button.
- Click Next.
- Enter the following information:
- Your Name: [Display Name you want to use, ie, Joe Smith]
- Email address: [Full email address, ie, firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Incoming Server: [secure.myvcgmail.com]
- Outgoing Mail server: [secure.myvcgmail.com]
- User name: [Full email address, ie, email@example.com]
- Password: [Your email account password]