For messages, users should set up an account within Outlook using either IMAP or POP3.
IMAP is a newer protocol that keeps all messages and folders on the server. In addition, IMAP idle is an optional feature of the IMAP protocol that pushes all new messages to Outlook as they are received by the mail server. Unlike POP, IMAP offers two-way communication between your SmarterMail mailbox and your email client(s). This means when you log in to the SmarterMail Web interface, actions you performed on email clients and mobile devices will automatically appear in the Web interface (and vice versa).
With POP3, your mail is saved in a mailbox on the remote server until you check your mail. When you check your mail, all of the mail is downloaded to your computer and is no longer maintained on the server. If you use POP3 and are traveling or checking your mail from multiple locations, you will not be able to view any of your old mail because the messages only exist on the computer on which you originally received your mail. NOTE: If you have enabled Outlook to keep messages on the server, you will be able to access your messages and folders from any computer via the SmarterMail Web interface or your mobile device.
Follow these steps to create an Outlook 2013 POP3 or IMAP account:
- In Outlook, go to File, Click the Info tab.
- Click Account Settings and select Account Settings from the drop-down.
- Select New within the Email tab.
- Click Manually configure server settings or additional server types radio button.
- Click Next.
- Click the Internet Email radio button.
- Click Next.
- Enter the following information:
- Your Name: [Display Name you want to use, ie, Joe Smith]
- Email address: [Full email address, ie, firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Incoming Server: [secure.myvcgmail.com]
- Outgoing Mail server: [secure.myvcgmail.com]
- User name: [Full email address, ie, email@example.com]
- Password: [Your email account password]
- Check the Remember Password checkbox