The short answer is... no.
VCG customers and users are not authorized to utilize VCG Services to send unsolicited bulk and/or commercial messages over the Internet (known as “spam” or "spamming"). It is not only harmful because of its negative impact on consumer attitudes toward the sender, but also because it can overload VCG's network and disrupt service to our subscribers.
Maintaining an open SMTP relay is prohibited. Any direct action, configuration, or setting that causes excessive outbound email traffic is subject to review and possible action. When a complaint is received, VCG has the absolute and sole discretion to determine from all of the evidence whether the email recipients were from an "opt-in" email list, or whether the outbound email traffic generated from an account is suitable for a shared hosting environment.
Your VCG Mail account is not setup to be used as a mass email marketing tool. Here are a few other reasons why we believe it's not a great idea:
- Small number of recipients - SmarterMail restricts the number of emails a user can send in an hour, so any attempts to send any other business related mail during that time would be restricted. That is, you won't be able to send any other email until you've completed the larger send.
- You could become a "spammer" - The bulk email sending rules are pretty strict, and if a company is sending mail that violates these rules, the chances of them being flagged as a spammer increases. Get too many flags and you are labeled a "spammer". And it's much harder to get off that list then it is to get on.
- No tracking - Even if you know that every member of your distribution list has you marked as a "trusted" sender, there is no way of knowing which, if any recipients opened your email. Part of a good email campaign is the tracking behind it. Knowing how many people opened, or clicked on any links is invaluable information when it comes to direct marketing.
Most importantly, it's important to know that we must have a zero tolerance for email abuse. Any violations of our email policy could result in the immediate termination of your VCG services, and that's bad news for everyone.
Our recommendation is to use a third party email service for your email campaigns. Let's look at some of the advantages of using an email service:
- Trusted Servers - The likely hood of your emails being received is greater when they come from a trusted source. Almost every email service can provide you with validation services to ensure your emails don't get flagged as spam.
- Tracking - As mentioned before, tracking is the single most important part of a successful email campaign. Most services will be able to track opens, bounces and clicks. All vital info when building a successful marketing campaign.
- Flexibility - Whether you have 50 or 50,000 emails to send, most email service companies can accommodate any size list.
- Cost Effective - Most email services are very reasonably priced, and depending on the size of your list, some of them may even be free. And almost all have some sort of free trial.
- Support - The need for support differs greatly, but having it available can be the difference between the success and failure of your campaign. Most companies even offer paid services where they will design, send and track your emails for you, allowing you to focus on the other parts of your business.
Here are a list of several Email companies: